Women's Community Group
Women working together can do amazing things! Women’s community groups, or Self-Help Groups, encourage women to bring about change in their own lives and in their communities. Groups connect women and support them to meet regularly, encourage each other, save money and learn new skills, which they can use to create an income.
How your gift helps
Proudly standing in their field of flowering eggplants, these colourfully dressed women have a good reason to smile. Most of them struggled to make a regular income before joining a women’s community group established by TEAR’s partner the Emmanuel Hospital Association (EHA) in India. Now, with external training and mutual support, they are working together to grow organic vegetables and are able to make a sustainable living from the land.
EHA works with 50 villages in the Janjgir-Champa district in Central India, where the majority of people live below the poverty line. It addresses the key factors contributing to successful community development including community health (with a focus on maternal and child health), livelihood improvement through organic farming, community organising to generate collective power for the poor and marginalised, and empowering community groups for advocacy on rights and entitlements.
Women’s community groups, or Self-Help Groups, like this one, connect women and encourage them to save money regularly and learn new skills and knowledge for improved livelihoods. The group’s savings enable women to take out small loans at a low interest rate for household income generating activities, children’s education and health care. By working together, they can provide for their families and bring about change in their communities.
About our partner
Emmanuel is a Hebrew word meaning “God is with us”. TEAR’s partner, the Emmanuel Hospital Association (EHA), seeks to represent the love of God in the communities in which it serves. Many EHA staff have made significant sacrifices in order to dedicate their lives to being God’s hands and feet for those who are facing poverty and marginalisation.
What you receive
- Choose from a printed card, e-card or download-and-print pdf card (or no card, just a tax-deductible receipt).
- Links to e-cards and download-and-print cards are emailed after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards—they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
Women's Community Group
About this gift:
Women working together can do amazing things! Women’s community groups, or Self-Help Groups, encourage women to bring about change in their own lives and in their communities. Groups connect women and support them to meet regularly, encourage each other, save money and learn new skills, which they can use to create an income. | More information.