The gift of a goat is one that truly keeps on giving! Obviously the milk and cheese are great, but the gift of a goat is also a real economic benefit to rural families. Breeding goats helps gain extra income to spend on health, education and other family needs. Buy a goat and contribute to a long-term poverty-fighting project.
How your gift helps
Really useful gift
A really useful gift may look different to each of us, but for Kunta Devi Luhar, a mother from Nepal, her really useful gift proved to be two goats!
Kunta’s gift was made possible through her membership of a self-help group run by TEAR’s Christian partner United Mission to Nepal (UMN). Your gift supports these valuable groups which educate and empower many women facing poverty. In the case of UMN, it uses self-help groups to address root causes of poverty, as it serves the people of Nepal in the name and spirit of Jesus Christ.
Prior to joining the self-help group, Kunta’s daily life was a real struggle. Her husband had been forced to go to India for work because there were no jobs locally and she couldn’t afford to cover her son’s school costs. When she and her husband contracted HIV, discrimination and social exclusion were added barriers to her experiencing her God-given potential.
That’s why Kunta’s decision to become an active member of the self-help group for people living with HIV/AIDS became a real turning point. The group didn’t just train Kunta in things like self-care and nutrition; importantly it gave her those two goats. Kunta seized the opportunity by investing a portion of her limited funds in two more goats and her new livelihood was born.
Income and dignity multiplied
Now Kunta has 7 goats and a regular income. Last year she earned 12,000 Nepalese rupees (about AU$150) and this year that has increased to 20,000 rupees (about AU$250). “It’s not difficult to buy daily household materials now like before,” says Kunta. “My son is in grade 7 and I provide all the stationery and education materials through my income.”
Best of all is the sense of restored hope that Kunta lives with. “Now my life has become a gift from God because of the program,” she says. “It has brought new fervour, happiness and independence in my life.” What a difference useful gifts plus personal determination can make in someone’s life!
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
The gift of a goat is one that truly keeps on giving! Obviously the milk and cheese are great, but the gift of a goat is also a real economic benefit to rural families. Breeding goats helps gain extra income to spend on health, education and other family needs. Buy a goat and contribute to a long-term poverty-fighting project. | More information.