Nothing tastes better than fresh fruit and vegetables that you’ve grown yourself! Your gift will help provide training for communities facing poverty, including the provision of seeds and equipment.
How your gift helps
In a dry and sandy place
Women in Mozambique, like Vina Sibinde (pictured), are discovering what many communities find when they take charge of their future - that joy is the fruit of their efforts. There are plenty of challenges too, as families work hard at growing their own fruits and vegetables as part of community enterprises made possible by TEAR’s Christian partner Gaza Works.
For a long time life was hard for communities in the province of Gaza. There was no irrigation and in some areas the soil was too sandy to farm, so they had to travel far away to work on more productive land. With little rain and no access to markets for their produce, families were struggling to get by and nutrition levels were poor.
Peace and joy through working together
That’s when Gaza Works invited communities to form farmer associations, each made up of 40 members. Vina’s village of Bunyela joined in despite the scepticism of some people. This collective arrangement has enabled families to be trained in better farming techniques, to pool their labour and borrow money to invest in infrastructure.
Today, rows and rows of vegetables and fruits stand on land made productive thanks to three key ingredients: an irrigation system connected to a nearby river, hard work and cow manure. As one of the project managers has remarked, “cow manure fixes everything!” The community is taking pleasure in working together on both commercial and private rows, from which they reap much-needed income and nutritious food. Fruits grown across the different associations include paw paws, mangoes and bananas.
As for Vina, she is thriving as the marketing manager for the Tintralo Association, after the disappointment earlier in life of not completing her education due to her school being washed away in a flood. She makes sure their bumper crop of tomatoes will fetch a good price, knowing that her community has peace of mind about future crops even when the rains fail.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $7 for Express Post. Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 12pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Nothing tastes better than fresh fruit and vegetables that you’ve grown yourself! Your gift will help provide training for communities facing poverty, including the provision of seeds and equipment. | More information.