With a population tipped to be the largest in the world within the next decade, India is one of the world’s most populous and complex nations. It is also home to one-third of the world’s extreme poor (those living on less than US$1.25 a day).
While the Indian economy has grown at a staggering rate over the last two decades, this growth hasn’t reached everyone. In many parts of India people continue to live in extreme poverty, unable to meet their basic needs or to escape the burdens of debt, poverty, or even their caste – limiting what they can achieve.
The region is home to around 4.5 million people and most people live in rural communities. It's a very fertile region and several large rivers flow from the Himalayas through this area. Regrettably, it can also be a dangerous place to live - prone to flooding and poor roads that can mean villages are cut off from help after heavy rains.
Your gifts to the Madhepur Project supports TEAR and our partner EFICOR as we work to help people prepare for disasters, but also to improve the lives of people in the region through education and improved farming practices.
What you receive
- Choose from a Can help a family prepare for a disaster, Can help a Village leader to learn about how to respond during an emergency, Can help train a farmer in sustainable farming the techniques, Can help provide a village disaster committee with safety equipment including rope, torch lights and a first aid kit, or Help a school create a disaster risk and response plan.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.