Help train families to construct their own fuel-efficient stove. Smoke from traditional stoves can lead to respiratory and eye infections. Fuel-efficient stoves vent the smoke safely, so they’re much safer and healthier. They also use less fuel so they are better for the environment, and cheaper to run.
How your gift helps
For Devli from Pakistan, the kitchen is the heart of her small home. It’s the place where she spends a lot of time preparing food for her husband and six children and where they gather for warmth in the cooler months. But not too long ago, Devli cooked on a pot resting on three stones with a fire underneath. Cooking like this, she would often burn her hands, and the smoke from the fire made the family susceptible to respiratory and eye infections.
Devli is part of a women’s Self-Help Group, formed with support from TEAR’s partner The Society for Safe Environment and Welfare of Agrarians in Pakistan (SSEWA-Pak). Aware of the health and environmental benefits of fuel-efficient stoves, SSEWA-Pak runs awareness sessions, which include training for groups on how to build their own stoves.
Devli and her family received training on how to construct and use the stove. The family worked together with pride and care to build and beautifully decorate a room for their stove, contributing most of the materials themselves. They have created a colourful and safe space where Devli can cook her daily meals, like chapati and rice, with minimal smoke and good ventilation. Her new stove, simple in its design, works by funnelling wood smoke out of the room through a chimney and allows two dishes to be cooked at once, saving time. The smokeless stove is also fuel-efficient, so it’s better for the environment, and cheaper to run. There have been so many benefits that neighbouring villages are interested in copying the design!
About our partner
The Society for Safe Environment and Welfare of Agrarians in Pakistan (SSEWA-Pak) works to empower people experiencing poverty and marginalisation in Sindh Province through the Community Capacity Development Program. It works mainly through Self-Help Groups, developing the capacity of the groups through training and support.
What you receive
- Choose from a printed card, e-card or download-and-print pdf card (or no card, just a tax-deductible receipt).
- Links to e-cards and download-and-print cards are emailed after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards—they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Help train families to construct their own fuel-efficient stove. Smoke from traditional stoves can lead to respiratory and eye infections. Fuel-efficient stoves vent the smoke safely, so they’re much safer and healthier. They also use less fuel so they are better for the environment, and cheaper to run. | More information.