Your gift will help sustain projects that remove barriers for people living with disabilities. TEAR’s partners support and develop people as they realise their potential and impact their community in meaningful and lasting ways.
How your gift helps
Samnang is a young father whose determination to provide for his family is coming to fruition. Life for people living with disabilities in Cambodia is not easy, with very few support services and social exclusion is common. However thanks to your support of TEAR’s local Christian partner PNKS, people like Samnang are creating a more fulfilling life.
As a boy, Samnang didn’t let his disability stop him from receiving an education. He would ask either his older brother or sister to give him a lift on their bikes from their village to school. His schooling came to an end in grade 10 however, when both his siblings got married. Eventually Samnang was married too and had a son, although he had no way of providing for his family. The lack of income and food led to a strained relationship with this wife.
In 2014 PNKS became aware of Samnang’s situation and explained to him the benefits of joining his local village development association. PNKS specialises in supporting communities to form their own village development associations, who pool their knowledge and resources to work toward community-driven change. Interestingly, PNKS’s name means “light of hope”.
By becoming a member of the village development association and receiving training in a range of topics such as human rights, vegetable growing and animal raising, Samnang gained new hope for his life. Importantly, he didn’t feel alone any more. He became motivated to build chicken cages and a hen house and then wrote to PNKS asking for chickens and seed to get him started.
Today Samnang loves tending to his vegetable garden and breeding chickens which he sells for $5 each. These activities provide for a much better diet and income for his two boys and wife. With his newfound confidence, Samnang is also contributing to his community’s development. He not only helps facilitate the village development association meetings but has become the association’s finance assistant! Samnang’s life is a wonderful example of how inclusion and empowerment for people living with disabilities brings life-changing hope.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Your gift will help sustain projects that remove barriers for people living with disabilities. TEAR’s partners support and develop people as they realise their potential and impact their community in meaningful and lasting ways. | More information.