Teachers can make all the difference in helping children to overcome barriers and gain an education. This gift trains teachers to become the best they can be, as they help unlock the amazing God-given potential in their students.
How your gift helps
Asmita is a teacher who knows how life-changing education can be. She’s one of the few women in her village in Nepal to complete high school, in a country where the education of girls is not viewed as a priority by many families. With your support, TEAR's local Christian partner Share and Care Nepal (SCN) is overcoming this and other barriers that block children on the pathway to a better future.
Despite noticeable gains in primary education levels in Nepal over the last decade, it remains the case that many children from families facing poverty don’t enrol in school or are forced to quit along the way. This is usually because they have to help their families with work or in rural areas they have to walk long distances to attend class. Girls not only find themselves forgotten about, but it’s still common that they are forced to marry in their teenage years. SCN is not content to let these patterns continue.
A key goal of SCN’s community development programs is to raise up young women like Asmita who have a heart to see the next generation flourish. Some years ago while still at school, Asmita joined an adolescent girls’ support group formed by SCN, where she gained self-confidence and went on to be elected the group’s secretary. When an earthquake caused massive damage across Nepal in 2015, it became a further opportunity for Asmita to learn how to engage with her community as she assisted SCN’s recovery efforts.
Now at twenty-one years old, Asmita is proud to be a teacher after finishing high school courtesy of a scholarship provided by SCN. She teaches a Grade 3 class a short walk from where she lives. "In this area we have a very high level of illiteracy which we are working to change,” she says. “I love teaching and see our children as the future of the community. They are like small plants right now, and it is our responsibility to water and nurture them.”
“My hope for tomorrow is to continue my study and continue teaching our children to become all they can be," Asmita states. Nepal’s future is bright with women like this shaping children to become all God intended them to be through education.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Teachers can make all the difference in helping children to overcome barriers and gain an education. This gift trains teachers to become the best they can be, as they help unlock the amazing God-given potential in their students. | More information.