Community School Class
For communities facing poverty, access to education can be a huge challenge due to schools being few and far between, limited teaching materials or a lack of trained teachers. You can help bridge the gap with this gift toward a community school class.
How your gift helps
For many children in rural areas of Laos, the chances of getting an education can be as remote as their villages, particularly among ethnic minority groups. But TEAR’s partner World Renew is changing this picture by empowering marginalised communities to build and maintain their own community schools.
Now children like 6 year old Porlai (pictured), who is from the Hmong ethnic group, can experience the joy of learning. Their village didn’t have a school before, however thanks to your support, World Renew can work with these remote communities to realise the potential they have to create a better life for themselves. World Renew is compelled by God’s deep passion for justice & mercy, working with communities around the world to renew hope, reconcile lives, and restore creation.
Porlai’s school was actually built by her mum and dad and fellow villagers, organised by their Village Education Development Committee. This local government appointed committee received training and support from World Renew’s project, which employs local Lao staff.
World Renew also conducts on-location training for teachers on child-friendly approaches, how to teach multigrade classes, how to make the best use of local curriculum, and the importance of good nutrition for learning. Teachers are followed up afterwards with observations and feedback to help them improve.
In addition to now having books in their school libraries, children are benefiting from assessments of their ability in Lao-Lum language by the project’s education advisors. Lao-Lum, the country’s common language, is required to live and work outside these minority villages, but most minority children only have their mother tongue when they start school.
This gift of education in their very own villages is the start of opening up future possibilities for a generation of Lao children. Your support for TEAR means World Renew can expand this work to more villages and communities.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
Community School Class
About this gift:
For communities facing poverty, access to education can be a huge challenge due to schools being few and far between, limited teaching materials or a lack of trained teachers. You can help bridge the gap with this gift toward a community school class. | More information.