A flourishing vegie patch can provide nutritious food for a family, as well as produce to sell for extra income. Training, tools and seeds will be provided to help a community member grow their own vegies.
How your gift helps
It all begins with water
Dilmaya Tama loves her crops of tomatoes and her entire village in Nuwakot district in Nepal loves having nutritious vegetables and fruit. But the story of life in this village used to be quite a different one. Once upon a time they struggled to grow good quality food and didn’t enjoy good health. The story changed however when TEAR’s local Christian partner Share and Care Nepal (SCN) joined forces with the community to build a regular water supply.
In the past, the water supply to their village was insufficient and often unsafe. Contamination from poor sanitation facilities took a toll on the health of the community. With the support of TEAR, SCN and the local Village Development Committee (VDC) were able to construct a system for the supply of clean water. The VDC provided the funds for the project and, along with training, materials and engineering support from SCN, members of the community worked together to build the new system over 35 days.
Dilmaya’s father-in-law, Kami Singh Tamang, was then nominated to service the system due to his reputation as a skilled repairman. He loves hiking up the nearby mountain to maintain the system and everyone in the village chips in to pay him a small fee for his work and to cover any maintenance costs. The overall effort epitomises community development at its best.
Life flourishes as people write their own story
Now Dilmaya is able to regularly irrigate her tomatoes, producing her best yield yet! Furthermore SCN have supplied plants and training to support people in turning their vegie gardens into income-earning enterprises. Best of all, the availability of more nutritious food along with clean drinking water has led to dramatic improvements in community health.
With water now flowing from taps, women and children spend less time carrying heavy containers of water and, thanks to education in hygiene and sanitation from SCN, most households have their own working toilet. A healthier and more productive lifestyle means this community can now write its own future free of the obstacles of the past.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
A flourishing vegie patch can provide nutritious food for a family, as well as produce to sell for extra income. Training, tools and seeds will be provided to help a community member grow their own vegies. | More information.