A thriving vegie patch can provide a source of fresh food and produce can also be sold at market for extra income. Provide training, seeds and equipment to help someone create their own kitchen garden.
How your gift helps
“Since we started planting and harvesting vegetables for our own use I discovered a peace and a joy inside me that was not there before. I think it is because I do not worry any more about what we will eat the next day.”
This is Gloria, a mother of six from Mozambique, who is part of a farmers’ association facilitated by TEAR’s partner World Relief Mozambique. Learning how to grow and harvest her own food has been a life-transforming experience for Gloria, and the other women in the association.
Most of the women World Relief works with are from vulnerable or low-income backgrounds. They participate in nutrition education and training to farm their own plot of land, and are supported with loans for seeds and irrigation. The women can make a living from their crop, and their whole family is nourished by healthy fresh food on the table.
Says Gloria: “We always have something to eat, even now in this period of drought in our area. Without the agriculture association and the irrigation it would have been very hard and stressful.”
Gloria has also recently been chosen as the president of the association, despite her initial shyness. Many from the group said she was chosen because of her calm and compassionate nature. She has now grown into her role and been empowered to become a leader in her community. She says: “I was always afraid to speak to a group of people but I discovered that that fear disappeared and somehow a confidence has grown in me.”
The association is busy harvesting their tomato crop, which will be sold at the market, and profits divided among the group. Gloria said she plans to open a bank account with the money to help two of her children who are attending high school. “I want to help them to complete secondary school and possibly even further their studies,” she says.
About our partner
World Relief Mozambique is a Christian development agency that believes God has equipped the church to use its time, energy and resources to join the vulnerable in their time of need. They are committed to transformational development, helping to empower women especially to develop a sustainable livelihood.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
A thriving vegie patch can provide a source of fresh food and produce can also be sold at market for extra income. Provide training, seeds and equipment to help someone create their own kitchen garden. | More information.