Everyone wants to live in a healthy community. Your gift will help train local health activists to perform basic health checks, educate their community about preventable illnesses as well as help people access government health services.
How your gift helps
Tuberculosis remains a deadly threat in India
“My goal is to have no patients.” That is the bold aim of community health co-ordinator Lalita who runs an award-winning tuberculosis treatment centre in South Delhi, India. And thanks to funding provided by TEAR’s Christian partner Saahasee, Lalita and her team are well on their way to achieving that aim.
When she took on the role 3 years ago, Lalita had 85 patients and deaths were not uncommon. In fact in 2015 India accounted for 27% of the world’s cases of tuberculosis, with two deaths occurring every three minutes across the nation.
Lalita is making a difference however, through her passionate heart for people. This extends to her team of community volunteers who fight tuberculosis (or TB) under the title of the ‘TB Cops’! Lalita has modelled for the cops how to build caring relationships with the patients.
They go about the neighbourhood raising community awareness about TB treatment and supporting the families of patients. This relational approach has been a key to ensuring patients return regularly to the clinic and see out their course of treatment.
“It’s a special job”
One of the TB Cops named Gita says “I feel very happy to do this because my daughter had TB and I don’t want anyone else to face this. It’s a special job because we know we can make a big difference.”
Now there are just 35 patients and no recent deaths in the community due to tuberculosis. It’s no wonder Lalita’s clinic was recognised by the government as a top tuberculosis treatment clinic, as India strives toward the World Health Organisation’s goal of eradicating tuberculosis by 2030.
With courageous women like Lalita and Gita leading the way, Saahasee is understandably optimistic that this community will continue to be transformed into the future. Your support for TEAR will help turn this optimism into a reality.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Everyone wants to live in a healthy community. Your gift will help train local health activists to perform basic health checks, educate their community about preventable illnesses as well as help people access government health services. | More information.