Empower local people to be health activists in their own communities! This gift helps to create positive health outcomes for communities through training people to spread the word about important health and hygiene issues, teaching families how to avoid preventable illnesses, performing basic health checks and help people access government health services.
How your gift helps
Fancy winning yourself a toilet brush? It’s a more desirable prize than you might first think, especially if not too long ago you didn’t have use for one. Community Health Facilitator Manju Tamang is awarding people with toilet brushes as part of a community event, celebrating the village recently being declared “open defecation free”.
Previously, only around 60% of households in the village had access to a toilet, and even then not everyone used them. TEAR partner Shanti Nepal trains and employs Community Health Facilitators like Manju to educate people about important health issues, including the importance of toilets and good hygiene. Now, through a campaign coordinated by Manju and the local government, every household in the village has a toilet that is being used and the entire community has grown in their understanding and practice of good hygiene and sanitation.
Not only is the community cleaner, it’s more peaceful too. The village used to be divided into two sides – Christian and Buddhist – and there was some hostility and a lack of cooperation between the two. In her role as a Community Health Facilitator, Manju patiently worked to form a mother’s group with members from both sides, teaching the mothers about child nutrition, safe birth, antenatal care and sanitation. As these health practices improved, so did relationships between the women, and the wider community is experiencing more unity as a result.
About our partner
Shanti Nepal is a Christian organisation operating with a vision of a holistically transformed Nepal. Their projects aim to raise awareness on community issues, develop skills for better livelihoods, organise and empower people to improve infrastructure and basic services, improve the health and quality of life of the community, and enhance self-esteem, love and harmonious relationships among communities.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Empower local people to be health activists in their own communities! This gift helps to create positive health outcomes for communities through training people to spread the word about important health and hygiene issues, teaching families how to avoid preventable illnesses, performing basic health checks and help people access government health services. | More information.