Well or Water System
This gift helps a community access a safe source of water right in their village. Communities are also trained with the technical skills to manage and maintain the water source themselves so that it functions for many years to come.
How your gift helps
Desta, 25, is very happy to be pumping water from her village’s new borehole. She’s filling up containers to take back to her family home, where she lives with her parents and eight siblings in the Oromia region of Ethiopia.
Before TEAR’s partner, the Ethiopian Kale Heywet Church (EKHC), came to Desta’s village, most families were using their own hand-dug shallow wells for water, which were unprotected and a source of water-borne diseases. Now, they are able to access clean and safe water from the new borehole, which is at the centre of the village and serves 22 households. Desta says: “The water is much better than the water in our family well. Everybody in the village is happy about this new, clean water source.”
The borehole is also being managed and maintained by a group of community members, who have been trained by EKHC.
EKHC’s community education team has also been visiting the village for several months teaching the community about hygiene and raising awareness about the importance of things such as hand washing and household toilets. The village committee is also following up each household to encourage them to keep putting into practice the things they have learnt.
About our partner
The Ethiopian Kale Heywet Church (EKHC) (Kale Heywet means “Word of Life”) is a long-term TEAR partner in Ethiopia. They work with a number of village communities to implement various development activities, including water and sanitation projects, which significantly improve people’s lives. They facilitate building infrastructure like gravity-fed water systems to improve access to safe water and train and empower communities to manage these systems. They also train the community in the importance of sanitation, supporting households to build their own toilets and improve their sanitation and overall health.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed Card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
Well or Water System
About this gift:
This gift helps a community access a safe source of water right in their village. Communities are also trained with the technical skills to manage and maintain the water source themselves so that it functions for many years to come. | More information.