Small Business Start-up
Setting up a small business helps people create an income to support their families and often they need just a small amount of support to get started. Help provide low-interest loans, training and other support for people to start their own small enterprises in their community, providing them with not only an income but also a sense of worth and achievement.
How your gift helps
Phon’s shop sits on the corner of the main street in her village in Cambodia. The shelves are stacked with fruit, vegetables, eggs and other groceries popular with the locals. With three daughters to support, and her husband often working away, Phon’s business is her livelihood.
Phon’s shop has been made possible through a low-interest loan from her local Village Development Association (VDA), set up as part of a project by TEAR’s partner Ponleu Ney Kdey Sangkum (PNKS). The VDA represents the community and its needs, and by becoming a member, people like Phon can access loans and receive skills training.
With lower interest rates and education on money management provided by the VDA, Phon is able to repay her loan on time, reinvest in her business and feel more financially secure. In the past, Phon’s only option to borrow money was from high-interest loans through private lenders.
The VDA also supports its members in many different ways. When one of her children became unwell, Phon was able to access emergency funds for medical care from the VDA. And through VDA-led classes, Phon learnt home-gardening techniques and farming skills. Now she has a small rice field providing food for her family as well as an extra income alongside her store.
About our partner
PNKS stands for Ponleu Ney Kdey Sangkhum, which means "light of hope". It is a Cambodian Christian NGO working in community building, agriculture and livelihoods training and health. PNKS comes alongside communities and helps them create Village Development Associations (VDAs) – groups of local volunteers, including people from the poorest and most vulnerable families. It then helps train these volunteers, building up their skills and capacity so they can respond to needs in their community and bring about long-lasting transformative change.
What you receive
- Choose from a printed card, e-card or download-and-print pdf card (or no card, just a tax-deductible receipt).
- Links to e-cards and download-and-print cards are emailed after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards—they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
Small Business Start-up
About this gift:
Setting up a small business helps people create an income to support their families and often they need just a small amount of support to get started. Help provide low-interest loans, training and other support for people to start their own small enterprises in their community, providing them with not only an income but also a sense of worth and achievement. | More information.