Helping kids thrive. This gift helps empower families to give their kids the opportunity to thrive. Classes run by trained community facilitators provide parents with knowledge about nutrition, as well as hygiene, sanitation and health issues affecting young children.
“Healthcare in communities saves lives, from unborn babies to adults supporting their families. I run a Useful Gifts Shop with my younger sister at my church as a way of making a difference, working for justice and seeking the Kingdom of God.”Rebecca, TEAR Supporter, Melbourne
How your gift helps
Little Subiraj is only 20 months old and is acutely malnourished. His mother, Animaya, brought him to a health clinic in Dhading, Nepal, where TEAR’s partner United Mission to Nepal (UMN) has established a nutrition program. Here, UMN staff member Rina is feeding Subiraj some therapeutic food, a highly nutritious peanut product designed for emergencies.
After being diagnosed as severely underweight, Subiraj was admitted to a community-based program. Over time, as part of the program, he will hopefully gain weight and begin to thrive.
As well as the health clinics, UMN’s health team have conducted training with female community health volunteers in Dhading, teaching them how to identify malnourished babies and children and to administer therapeutic nutrition in emergency situations. They have also worked with the community to educate mothers about how to prepare nutritious food from cheap and locally available ingredients. This proactive approach aims to improve children’s nutrition from early on, helping them grow up healthy and strong.
Your gift of Health and Nutrition Education is contributing to projects like this one and making a difference in the lives of those facing poverty and marginalisation.
About our partner
UMN works towards "Fullness of life for all, in a transformed Nepali society". Established in 1954, UMN is a cooperative effort between the people of Nepal and a large number of Christian organisations from nearly 20 countries on four continents. Multicultural teams of Nepali nationals and volunteer expatriate staff work alongside local organisations in less developed areas of the country, building partnerships that lead to healthy, strong and empowered individuals, families, and communities.
What you receive
- Choose from a printed card or download-and-print pdf card (or no card, just a tax-deductible receipt).
- Links to download-and-print cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards—they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts.
Clean water is essential for a healthy life. Help provide a household with safe water for drinking, cooking, watering vegetables and washing. “Previously women were home wives. Now we have a great opportunity to go to different training and participate in other community issues.”Gardise, from Mesreta, Southern Ethiopia.