Help train families to construct their own fuel-efficient stove. Smoke from traditional stoves can lead to respiratory and eye infections. Fuel-efficient stoves vent the smoke safely, so they're much safer and healthier. They also use less fuel so are better for the environment, and cheaper to run.
How your gift helps
Kitchens aren't just for cooking. They're for gathering, sharing and serving; for hosting and nurturing. But what if the simple act of cooking in your kitchen was a health hazard? For Dhani, pictured here with her granddaughter, cooking used to be pretty uncomfortable, costly and dangerous. Not too long ago, she cooked using a traditional stove: a pot resting on a few rocks with a fire built underneath. It was a simple setup, but it was inefficient and often unsafe, with smoke from the open fire contaminating the air. For other women in the village using this method of cooking, flames would sometimes catch on their tunic or scarf and result in burns.
Thankfully, TEAR's partner is helping to clear the air for families like Dhani's. Keen to promote the health and environmental benefits of fuel-efficient stoves, TEAR's partner run awareness sessions, which include training for families on how to build their own stoves. After attending one of these sessions, it didn't take much for Dhani to be convinced of the benefits, and with the support of TEAR's partner she constructed her own fuel-efficient stove – and confidently destroyed her old one!
A new room has been constructed that is better ventilated. Now, instead of smoke filling up the kitchen, putting the family at risk of eye and respiratory infections, it's funnelled out of the room via a metal pipe covered in insulating mud. There's even a hood at the top to keep rain from coming down the chimney. Dhani's new stove also uses less fuel and can cook two pots at a time, essentially halving her time spent cooking. More and more families in villages around south eastern Pakistan are enjoying the benefits of their own fuel-efficient stove, with men, women and even children turning up to awareness sessions and learning how to create safer and healthier home environments.
What you receive
- Choose from a Printed card, Download & Print (PDF), E-card, or No Card.
- Links to Download & Print (PDF) and E-cards are emailed to you after checkout.
- The amount you have donated will not be on the card.
- Printed cards:
- A blank envelope for your card.
- Free standard postage within Australia (5-7 working days) or $6 for Express Post (2-3 working days). Express Post cards will normally be sent the same day if the order is made before 1:30pm AEST. Please note: Express Post only operates in these areas within Australia.
- Note: We cannot ship printed cards outside Australia (but you can still order the digital cards).
- Note: We do NOT write on your cards — they are delivered to you to personalise.
- A tax-deductible receipt.
has purchased a gift for you from TEAR Australia's Useful Gifts:
About this gift:
Help train families to construct their own fuel-efficient stove. Smoke from traditional stoves can lead to respiratory and eye infections. Fuel-efficient stoves vent the smoke safely, so they're much safer and healthier. They also use less fuel so are better for the environment, and cheaper to run. | More information.